Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Guava "Apple" Sauce

What do you do when you have more fruit then you can eat before it spoils? COOK with it!


One thing I like to do is make guava sauce. I follow the same steps I use to create apple sauce...with one addition...I run it through the food processor to break down the seeds!


Directions:
First I cut the guava into slices
I put the slices into a pot with 1/4 tsp of unsalted butter
I add 6 TBSP of water
I cover and cook on low for a few hours...stirring from time to time.

Taste...do you want something more?

I add cinnamon to taste.

Once the guava sauce cools...I add to the VitaMix (food processor is fine and immersion blender will not work as well) and grind till the seeds break down. The consistency will be think and creamy.


Serve as you would applesauce...it tastes good warm or cold!

Note: If you prefer a smoother consistency...cut out the seeds in the future.

NOTE: Can be used as a substitute for applesauce in recipes!