People have asked me HOW I incorporate BEANS in my pizza. People have also wondered WHY I incorporate BEANS into my pizza.
Let's start with the WHY ...
I add beans to my pizza to add nutrients. Beans provide protein, fiber, iron, folate, potassium, and magnesium and CONTAIN LITTLE TO NO trans-fat, sodium, and cholesterol.
Now the HOW ...
I often take a cup of beans and give them a rough mash and layer the beans on the bottom of the crust. At this point I may add some spices to layer in additional flavors based on the other toppings I will use.
Pizza with Beans ... Layers of Flavor and Texture
- After you add the layer of beans to your chosen crust, add the cheese or vegan cheese of choice
- Follow with sauteed vegetables ( I used onions, garlic, sweet potato, and oyster mushrooms)
- This time I added raw zucchini spirals for extra texture
- Top with some additional cheese
- Press down and bake according to crust directions