French Onion Soup MemoriesFrench Onion Soup is something that I enjoy ordering in restaurants, but have shied away from ordering since I had to start following a gluten free diet. I loved the warm soup, the melting cheesy and crunchy topping, and the crunchy cheese that oozed down the side of the bowl. Just thinking about a bowl of French Onion soup makes me smile!
A while ago I found a recipe that I liked and have been able to make french onion soup at home ... deconstructed with gluten free bread and melted cheese on the side! I can, once again, enjoy one of my comfort foods.
French Onion Soup ... Re-imaginedThis recipe takes the soup to a new level ... adding Beyond Meat Crumbles makes the soup more of a meal. I enjoy the soup with toasted gluten free bread or add some melted cheese.
The soup is GLUTEN FREE and VEGAN. If you use dairy free cheese and a gluten free vegan bread then the entire meal remains gluten free and vegan. Three brands of bread that are gluten free and vegan include: Food for Life, bFree, and Little Northern Bakehouse.
- 3 large onions (size of a man's fist) ... use a variety or all sweet onions
- 6 cups of low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 TBSP thyme
- 2 -4 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- OPTION: 1 Package Beyond Meat Crumbles
- Dice the onions into small pieces of relatively uniform size
- Add the onions, thyme, and olive oil to a soup pan on medium
- As the onion begins to caramelize, add the balsamic and continue to cook down the onions ... turn the burner down to medium low and stir from time to time ... after about an hour the liquid should have evaporated and the onions soft and caramel in color
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes
- OPTION: Add the Beyond Meat Crumbles and stir into the soup. Cook an additional 15 minutes for flavors to marry