Saturday, February 14, 2015

Carrot Green Pesto

I do not like to waste food. For years I have been buying carrots and discarding the greens. It finally dawned on me that there could be a use for the greens. I searched online and found several uses for the greens. Two of the uses resonated with me wight away! One use was to add the greens to soup and another was to make pesto.

Therefore, I decided why not use the carrot greens ALONG with the carrots next time I buy the carrots.


Base Recipe:
4 cups of carrot greens (washed)
1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup of cashews
4-6 cloves of garlic (depending on size)
1 cup olive oil

Blend in a food processor.Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.


Variations:
Substitute another nut for cashew (pistachios work very well as do peanuts BUT walnuts work best if you use arugula)
Substitute Romano of Asiago Cheese for the parmesan
Substitute Basil or Arugula for the carrot greens


Prep Time from set up to clean up 20 minutes or less.