Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Pasta Sauce in a FLASH

We can all open a jar of pasta sauce and create a quick meal from the jar. Perhaps we wish to add a few ingredients so the meal is semi-homemade. I am TRYING to eliminate packaged foods from my diet, at least as many as I can. This way I can control the ingredients that I am using. I admit it, I also enjoy the creativity of coming up with new flavor profiles.

My PASTA SAUCE in a FLASH is a recipe that can be changed COUNTLESS ways...

Start with:
Tomatoes, onions, and garlic


From this point on the fun begins...
Adding carrots adds sweetness
You can add Basil or Oregano for spice

Directions:
Roughly chop the tomatoes, onions, and garlic. Add to a saucepan with a 2 TBSP of olive oil and water to coat the bottom of the pan. The ratio I like to use is 2-4 large tomatoes per onion. Then I add 4-6 cloves of garlic depending on size. The carrot in the picture was exceptionally large, otherwise I would have used two regular width/length carrots.

Simmer in a covered pot till the tomatoes cook down, carrot softens, and the onion and garlic "sweat".

You can keep the sauce chunky or blend.


You can add mushrooms or peppers at this point. They take less time to cook and need to be just heated through. This will add texture to your sauce.

You can add meat or meat substitute as well.


Serving:
If blended, can be used as sauce for a homemade pizza. Store extra in an airtight container.
As a dipping sauce or topping for Amazing Amaranth Fritter or Ploenta.
Use with pasta (Gluten Free Varieties I find hold up well are Delallo and Ancient Harvest ... cook till al dente)