Saturday, February 21, 2015

Date Nut Brownies

I like NATURAL sugars. I once was the person who could polish off an entire bag of Twizzlers in one day. Today, I find processed sweets like that to be uninviting. Therefore, when I make something sweet, I wish it to have NATURAL sugars. There is sugar in the Nutella, only 4 TBSP for the entire batch...not too much.

A friend shared with me a recipe for No Bake Brownies. I decided to try it...but modified it just a bit. This recipe leaves several doors open for further modifications as well.


BASE RECIPE:
1 cup Almonds
3/4 cup Cashews
1/2 cup Pecans
1 cup Pitted Dates (I get mine from Futterman Farm)
1/2 cup Flax Seed Meal (I use Bob's Red Mill)
3 TBSP Cacao Powder (I used unsweetened)
1 TSP Almond flavoring
2 TBSP Nut Butter (I used NUTELLA but would substitute homemade nut butter in future to reduce sugar)


Put nuts in a food processor and grind till they are in small pieces. Add cacao, nut butter, almond flavoring, flax seed meal, and dates and pulse until incorporated.

Transfer ingredients to a glass dish (I used a glass storage container that was 8 X 4). Spray the back of a spatula with cooking spray and use it to press the mixture firmly into the dish. Refrigerate.

USE the same food processor to make a FROSTING...or omit this step and start the clean up. IF you omit the frosting...sprinkle the bars with powdered sugar and a few nuts on top for a pretty look. After all, we do eat with our EYES FIRST!

If you wish to make frosting...
2 TBSP Coconut Oil
2 TBSP Nut Butter (see note above)
1 TBSP Cacao
1 TSP Almond flavoring



SUBSTITUTIONS:
I used raw almonds...you can use roasted
Substitute hazelnuts or walnuts for pecans
Vanilla flavoring for almond flavoring
Substitute uncooked oats for flax seed meal
Add 1/2 cup gluten free protein powder to the base

Prep Time to Clean Up: If you make frosting 30 minutes, 20 minutes if you do not.

TIP: The first time you make these, perhaps make a 1/2 batch of frosting and frost half the brownies...try the other half with the powdered sugar or plain. See what you prefer.

TIP: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Serving: This is a great dish to take to a friend's house when invited for dinner. They can be served alone or with frozen yogurt or ice cream.

TIP: If you use nut butter and not Nutella (or a combination of both)and omit frosting these would be a great Luna Bar substitute.

I WILL make these several more times!