Saturday, January 31, 2015

NoBakeDateDelights ENERGY BARS

I prefer to eat REAL FOOD rather than PACKAGED FOODS. Now that I have been eating gluten free, I have noticed that the ingredient list, for the most part, contains words that one can pronounce.

I prefer to make granola "type" bars and take them with me, rather than a box of packaged bars. YES, I do keep packaged bars on hand as one cannot always have homemade ones on hand! When I purchase bars, I try to purchase KIND Gluten Free granola bars or Lara Bars that are gluten free.



My DATE DELIGHTS are similar in texture to a Lara Bar. They are made with VERY FEW ingredients and take VERY LITTLE time. Like the other recipes on my blog, they can be made with many variations.

BASE RECIPE:
1 cup dates (pitted)
1 cup oatmeal (uncooked)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp nut butter of choice (I prefer homemade)
1 cup nuts (of choice ... pictured I have 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews and 1/2 cup raw unsalted peanuts)

Directions:
Add above ingredients (except oats) to food processor and pulse till a paste forms. The consistency will vary based on the dates. Slowly add the oats to loosen up the ball that will form in the food processor. You may not need to add the full cup if the dates were dry. You may need more oats if the dates were very moist.


Transfer to a dish, flatten (I use a spatula sprayed with olive oil spray so mixture will not stick), cover, and refrigerate. After 30 minutes or so (I usually make at night and they are ready in the AM) you can cut to desired size and serve.


Options to Add:
Flax Seed Meal
Coconut + diced, dried berry of choice (cheery, blueberry, strawberry)
Sesame Seeds + diced crystallized Ginger
Shredded Chocolate/Chocolate chips