Thursday, February 12, 2015

PB & J Bars

Peanut Butter and Jelly. Two food items that bring many people a feeling of comfort as they remind us of childhood, a simple time in life! Often I find myself looking for a sweet treat and end up putting peanut butter and jelly on a piece of gluten free toast or a rice cake. I decided to modify BAR recipes to create a PB & J Bar!



My PB & J Bar can be made with ANY NUT BUTTER! I personally have tried peanut, almond, and cashew butter. I have also made a nut butter that is a combination of all three butters...I liked that one!!! Experiment with what tastes best to you. Perhaps start with peanut or almond butter as they are most widely available. Perhaps go with what is on sale when you are at the store (nuts for making butter or jars of "nut butter").

Cooking should be fun, creative, and economical! Save money when you can. Splurge from time to time! You can cook healthy ... at any budget!

BASE RECIPE:
1 cup creamy NUT butter of choice
1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar (or use honey and double flax/chia)
1 stick butter (I use unsalted) at room temperature
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups rolled oats (uncooked)
1 cup flax seed meal (or 1/2 cup CHIA SEEDS) (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1 1/2 cup Flour (Oat, Almond, or Coconut ... I do 1/2 cup each) ***

1 Jar of Jam/Jelly (or homemade) 10-15 ounces (I used reduced sugar/organic or make my own with CHIA Seeds

*** I use Gluten Free Flours from Bob's Red Mill. You can use Bob's 1-1 Gluten Free Flour OR gluten flours...



Directions:

Combine all ingredients (not Jam).
Lightly spray 9 x 13 glass baking sheet
Press half of the mixture into the pan. Firmly press down.
Add the jam in a layer on the base.
Add the remaining granola mixture to the top...press down to form an even top layer.

Cook 375 for 30-40 minutes - until edges turn golden brown and jam begins to bubble a bit. Let cool then cut.

Serving Suggestions:

Have for breakfast with fruit or Greek Yogurt.
Eat as a snack
Have for desert - with fruit, frozen yogurt or ice cream, or with Chia Cups (see earlier post - Jan. 12, 2015)


OPTIONS:
Add Cinnamon
Add Coconut
Add diced, chopped nuts
Add diced, chopped, dried fruit