Thursday, February 12, 2015

Cooking with DRY Beans

I purchase DRY beans as the cost is much lower than canned beans and there is less packaging than opening several cans for a recipe!

My trick to convert DRY beans to HYDRATED beans:

1 cup dry beans to 3 cups liquid (I usually use 1/2 vegetable broth and 1/2 water).
I add 1 bay leaf.
I put the combination in an airtight container over night (or during the day while I work).
Transfer the beans (and bay leaf if using) to a pot and add liquid if needed.
Cook on low for a few hours, stirring from time to time. Cook time will depend on volume you are cooking and size of pot you are using. (Small amount and a big pot = more surface area of beans on the pot so a faster cooking time). Cook SLOW and on LOW heat.
You know they are done when you taste them and they are the consistency YOU like. You may leave with a bit of a resistance or you may cook until very soft and melt-in-your-mouth texture.

Believe me...this IS easy! You just have to do it once to realize how easy it is...EVEN on a busy schedule! MOST of the time is INACTIVE on your part!