Sunday, January 18, 2015

Beet Green Potato Pancakes

I believe in using all parts of a plant. I do not like to waste anything. When I buy beets I eat the beats themselves as well as use the stems and greens. One way I use beet greens is to make BEET GREEN POTATO PANCAKES. They take a bit of preparation, but are worth all the effort!


After separating the leaves from the rest of the stem I wash them then cut them into small strips.

Base Ingredients:
4 Cups Chopped Beet Greens
2 Eggs
1 Large Grated Potato (or Sweet Potato)
1 1/2 Cups Flour (of your choice - I am Gluten Free so I use the flours by Bob's Red Mill Pictured below)
3 Cloves of Garlic
2 TBSP Crushed Red Pepper Flakes


Optional Add Ins:
1 Cup Chopped Nuts (adds protein)
1 Chopped Shallot
1/2 Cup Flax Seed Meal


Directions:
Combine the base ingredients in a large bowl and mix
Heat a skillet with a tbsp of olive oil
Place a heaping spoonful of mixture in pan (I use a heaping SERVING Spoonful)
Flatten patty after a few minutes to make sure CENTER cooks
Flip when the pancake has formed and will not fall apart (try to push it with a spatula...if it slides it is ready to flip).
Both sides will cook for about 5 minutes ... on medium-high heat
Remove from pan and place on a towel lined plate


Serving Suggestion:
As a main dish...serve with pesto sauce.
As a side dish
Condiments that work well: Ketchup or Sriracha Hot Sauce

TIP: I like to make several different sizes when I make a batch. This allows me to have large ones for a meal, medium for side dishes, and small ones for a snack.