Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Pumpkin Nut Bites

Some publications consider PUMPKIN a SUPER FOOD. Pumpkin is high in fiber, low in calories, and contains potassium, pantothenic acid, magnesium, vitamins C and E, and carotenoids. According to SuperFoodsRX, foods rich in carotenoids have been linked to a host of health- promoting and disease-fighting activities. They have been shown to decrease the risk of various cancers, including those of the lung, colon, bladder, cervical, breast, and skin. In the landmark Nurses’ Health Study. Women with the highest concentrations of carotenes in their diets had the lowest risk of breast cancer. Carotenoids have also shown great promise in their ability to lower rates of heart disease.

I try to include pumpkin in my diet YEAR ROUND! I always keep pumpkin pie spice on hand in the cupboard and a can of 100% pure pumpkin in the pantry.

I made almond butter the other day and was looking to make pumpkin bread. I admit I wanted to spread warm almond butter on the bread as a treat. That is comfort food to me! Instead of spreading almond butter on my pumpkin bread, I decided to combine the ingredients. I modified a few recipes to make this gluten free PUMPKIN NUT BITE. You can make it as a cookie, in a pan and cut into bars, in a mini muffin tin (as I did), or in a small loaf pan. The smaller the size, the shorter the cooking time.

Base Recipe:
1 cup Pumpkin Puree
1 cup almond butter (any nut butter will do - see my previous recipe)
2 tsp almond extract (can use 2 tsp vanilla if you use a different nut butter)
4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/3 cup flax seed meal
1/3 oatmeal (uncooked)
For a sweeter Bite..add 1/3 cup honey and increase flax seed meal and oatmeal to 1/2 cup each

Mix until a creamy base forms...will cook up to be cake like consistency.

Optional Add-Ins:
Diced chopped dried fruit (dates, raisins, cranberries)
Diced chopped nuts
Chocolate (pure, dark chocolate)


Directions:
Preheat Oven to 350
use muffin liners or grease a muffin tin ... I cooked mine in a mini-muffin tin for 10 minutes and tested and found them ready. If you cook small cookies instead...line cookie sheet with parchment and cook 2 inch diameter cookies 10 minutes then check for to see if done (edges firm).


Serving Suggestions:
Serve for Breakfast with fruit, yogurt, or other protein (eggs, sausage, bacon).
Serve as a side with a meal
Serve as a dessert if you added the additional sugar.