Monday, January 12, 2015

PB Protein Bites

I LOVE these! All food should be this fun! Finger food that is good for you and tastes so good you WANT to lick your fingers! These PB Protein Bites can be made as small or large as you wish. The stir-ins can fit your personality, the special occasion, or your dietary needs.


Base Recipe Ingredients:
1 Cup Oatmeal (DRY)
1/2 cup Peanut Butter (or nut/seed butter of choice)
1/2 cup Ground Flax Seed Meal
1/3 cup Honey (or sugar) (substitute Maple Syrup to make VEGAN)
1 tsp Vanilla

I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oats and Ground Flax Seed Meal


Optional stir-ins:
coconut, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, toffee pieces, dried fruit, protein powder, and cinnamon

Directions:
Add ingredients to a mixing bowl/electric mixer
Stir until incorporated
Roll into balls (size is up to you...I generally try for ping pong ball or golf ball size
Refrigerate in an airtight container for about 30 minutes

OPTIONS:
Use a different nut butter if you prefer or have a peanut allergy
Use agave instead of honey, reduce to 1/4 cup
Some store bought peanut butters have more sugar in them than others, if you wish to cut down on sugar, reduce the honey in half
Use homemade or natural nut butter in place of mass market "brands". Stay Tuned for my nut butter recipes!


Each time I have made this recipe I have made the BASE recipe and HALF way through making the balls, I add a stir-in or two so the batch has variety.

Perfect for an on the go snack! Can be used as a post game snack, mid day pick-me-up, or a desert!