Saturday, February 14, 2015

Sugarless Chocolate Chip Cookies

YES! You did read that correctly. I made chocolate chip cookies without adding sugar. My family has a history of diabetes so I look to reduce sugar in my cooking to take care of them...and, perhaps, to reduce my chance of developing diabetes!

Since I was young, baking has always been a form of stress reduction for me. As I am completing my second masters thesis, I have turned back to cooking and its creativity to relieve my stress. I love reading recipes and looking at flavor profiles to find ways to develop my cooking and modify current recipes.

I used Bob's Red Mill Quinoa and Almond Flour in my recipe. The cookies are a treat...and high in protein!


When I make quinoa I make a large batch. This recipe is a great way to use the quinoa for something sweet...but not too sweet! The chewy texture of the cookies is satisfying!

Base Ingredients:
1 very ripe banana (that's the natural sweetness)
1 cup of flax seed meal
1 cup of almond flour (it's gluten free)
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1/3 to 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used cacao that I cut into pieces)
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup nut butter (I used almond butter to keep "nuts" consistent)

** I use Bob's Red Mill Ground Flax Seed Meal, Almond Flour, and Quinoa **


Substitutions:
Milk Chocolate or white chocolate for the cacao (makes cookie sweeter than cacao)
Switch flours
Add 1/4 cup brown sugar or 4 TBSP Honey or Agave

Bake for 20 minutes at 350 on a parchment lined baking sheet
Let cool
Store in an airtight container OR enjoy right away!