Friday, April 3, 2015

Carrot Cake

I was bound and determined to make a Gluten Free Carrot Cake for my birthday. It is my favorite cake and I wanted to find a good recipe so I could celebrate ... my way!

This recipe comes from looking online at numerous recipes and combining elements from each. Carrot Cake is a GREAT spring treat. It takes a little effort, I will not deny that, but it is worth it! I usually shy away from recipes with this many ingredients. Not this time!



Base Recipe:
3 Cups of GRATED Carrots
4 Eggs
2 TSP Ground Cinnamon
1 TSP Ground Nutmeg
1 1/2 TSP Ground Ginger
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed Meal
1/2 cup raisins
1 heaping TSP Baking Powder
1/2 TSP Baking Soda
1 1/2 Cup Bob's Red Mill Almond Meal Flour

Variations:

Add coconut
Substitute 1/2 coconut flour for the almond flour
Use pre-cut/SHREDDED carrots as a time saver...instead of grating yourself.
"Regular" flour can be substituted in if you are not going for a gluten free recipe.




Instructions:
HINT: Set out the frosting ingredients NOW so they are room temperature when you are ready for them.

STEP1 :Combine everything but Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Flour in a standing mixer or bowl. Stir until ingredients incorporated. Add the remaining DRY ingredients. Mix JUST till incorporated. Then transfer to baking dish...

Step 2: Spray oil on a 9-13 pan or 2 small round cake pans.
Place batter in the sprayed pan.
Preheat oven to 350.
Cook for about 30 minutes. Check after 20 using a toothpick...it is done when the toothpick comes out clean.
Let it cook while the frosting is being made.

HINT: Set out the frosting ingredients NOW so they are room temperature when you are ready for them.

Frosting Ingredients/Instructions:

8 Ounce Package Cream Cheese...I use organic low fat
1/2 Cup Butter (I use no salt)
2 TSP Vanilla Flavoring
2 Cups Powdered Sugar

Variations:
Add food coloring to change color
Add shredded coconut
Substitute Coconut butter for dairy butter

After the cake cools, frost and serve or cover to keep fresh!

Serving Suggestion:
Pair with coffee or a cup of tea. I suggest Traditional Medicinals Ginger Aid tea.