Saturday, April 4, 2015

Berry Chia Jam

I have been using Chia seeds for quite a while to make puddings and to add to bread recipes but I have not taken the leap to make jam out of them.

Taking advantage of SPRING BREAK I decided to try a few recipes that I have been pondering but have not had the time to work through the details.

Why did I wait so long? I do not know!!! This was a simple recipe and I am excited to use it every chance I can!

You can increase the recipe if you wish to make a larger portion. This will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 6-8 weeks....I cannot imagine it not being consumed WELL before then!


Base Recipe:
1 1/2 Cups Fruit (I used organic frozen berry mix)
1/4 cup Honey
1 TBSP Vanilla Extract
2/3 cup Organic White Chia Seeds (I used Mamma Chia)

Options:
Substitute Agave for Honey
Substitute your favorite frozen berry or stone fruit
Substitute FRESH fruit
Add 2 TBSP Cinnamon for flavoring instead of honey

HINT: I try to use organic fruit of the item is on the Environmental Working Group's Dirty Dozen List.

Instructions:
Place fruit in a pot and simmer - stir from time-to-time.
Once fruit has reduced, remove from heat and add chia. Stir till chia seeds covered. Once chia seeds absorb liquid (about 15 minutes) add vanilla and honey. Stir to combine.

Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.


Uses:
Topping for French Toast, Waffles, or Pancakes
As jelly in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich

HINT: Add honey or agave 1/2 at a time...taste...each fruit is different in sugar level. Use only as much as you need ... enhance the fruit's flavor without masking it!