Saturday, June 6, 2015

Taste of Summer Ravioli

Long before there was a show on Food Network called Semi-Homemade, I watched my mother prepare Semi-Homemade dishes for our family. My mother worked full time and raised two children. She could have used a 25th hour in the day but was not granted one. We always ate healthy foods and rarely ate out. She taught me tricks to make healthy choices in the grocery store and to enhance the packaged goods one buys with fresh ingredients.

As I became an adult and Semi-Homemade became a popular show on Food Network, my mother and I shared an affinity for the recipes as they reminded us of what we have been doing for years.

I need to be GLUTEN FREE and have had to eliminate many packaged/processed foods from my diet. I make more foods from scratch but still hold true to the mantra taught to me by my mother, always enhance packaged foods with fresh ingredients.

When I do use packaged foods I try to make the healthiest choice I can. Often this choice is made due to time constraints. I ALWAYS make time to eat healthy and exercise. I sacrifice sleep to ensure I eat well and an active.

The star of this dish is Three Bridges Gluten Free Butternut Squash Ravioli. One package is good for TWO people. If you are making a single serving, cook half of the raviolis and place the rest in an airtight container in the refrigerator for next time. I suggest using them within the week after you open the original package.

The delight with recipes like this, you can make them different each time you cook. Just add the vegetables that are in season and you have on hand.
Potential Variations Include:
Add Protein: Grilled Chicken Breast, Gluten Free Sausage, Homemade Meatballs, Tofu (Pan Fried or Baked)
Add Vegetables: Asparagus and Leeks, Zucchini and Yellow Squash, Tri-Color Peppers, Caramelized onions and Garlic, or Tomatoes


Ingredients:
1 Ear of Corn…cut corn off one cob … yields about 1 cup
1 Red/Yellow/Orange Bell Pepper
1 Medium Red Onion
2 TBSP olive Oil
1 Cup Vegetable Broth (low sodium if possible)
1 TBSP Butter (unsalted)


Options for Garnishes when Serving:
Cracked Pepper, Shredded Parmesan Cheese, or Basil


Instructions:
1. Prepare the vegetables:
• Dice the pepper and onion into even sized pieces. You can use a mandolin for small,
even slices. Set to the side.
• Cut the corn off the cob (can use frozen corn … fresh will not end up “soggy”).
• Sautee the corn with ½ TBSP unsalted butter in a pan. Stir from time to time. When the
corn starts to turn golden, add the diced pepper, onion, and vegetable broth. Cook
until MOST of the liquid evaporates. Turn the heat off.
2. Cook the Ravioli:
• Bring water to a rolling boil. Add the ravioli and cook 2-3 minutes SHY of the package
instructions.
• Before draining, transfer ½ a soup ladle’s worth of pasta water to the pan with the
vegetables.
• Use a slotted spoon to carefully remove each ravioli and place in the pan with the
vegetables.
3. Finish cooking the dish on medium heat until the liquid is absorbed.
4. Serve or store in an airtight container and enjoy later (perhaps lunch at work).