Monday, June 8, 2015

Broccoli Greens with Bacon

I am not one of those people whose mantra is “everything is better with bacon”. I do enjoy Turkey Bacon from time-to-time, but do not actively seek out ways to incorporate bacon into my diet. After a handful of people telling me that greens (broccoli, collard, beet) are good when sautéed with bacon and some vegetable broth, I decided to try. I made a small portion to see about what these people have been raving. The dish was enjoyable! I was disappointed I made such a small quantity. I have made this dish several times since.


Base Ingredients and Options:
2 cups of Broccoli (substitute collard or beet) Greens diced thin
2 slices of Bacon (I used TURKEY bacon) sliced into small strips
2 cups Vegetable Broth (low sodium). Substitute Chicken Broth to enhance Turkey Bacon flavor or Beef to enhance Bacon flavor. Low sodium is suggested for all broth.

Additional Options:

Dice a cup of onion and 2-4 cloves of garlic
DOUBLE the Bacon if you wish to make this a MAIN dish. Serve with a wedge of bread or roasted/mashed potatoes.


Instructions:
Add ingredients to pan and cook on low heat. Cover and stir from time to time to monitor liquid level. Add more liquid if greens are not tender when first two cups are absorbed.

Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
Clean Up: 5 minutes (pan, cutting board, colander, and measuring cup)