Sunday, March 1, 2015

Honey Ginger Shrimp

At the start of the week I cook quinoa, rice, millet, or sorghum. This allows me the opportunity to make weekday meals...in relatively no time!

A quick fix meal is a stir fry.

Base Ingredients:
Millet (or other grain)
Shrimp - about 1 pound (I purchased pre-cooked)
Ginger - 1 TWO inch section
Honey - 2 TBSP

For this dish I added small shrimp to a pan with a 1/2 cup of water and pepper.
I took a two inch piece of ginger and peeled it. I used the potato peeler to make small slices of ginger and added the slices to the pan.
As the water began to boil I added the honey.


HINT: If tails are not removed from shrimp, remove them before cooking. Makes eating "cleaner". If your shrimp is not de-veined and precooked you will need to remove the vein and cook a few extra minutes.

Sautee until water is removed.

While you are cooking the shrimp warm your grain...or cook it if you do not have any precooked. I suggest 1 cup of grain per serving.

Cook Time: 30 minutes if you need to cook grain, 10 minutes for the stir fry!

OPTIONS:
Add walnuts when you sautee...or garnish on top
Garnish with arugula
Add onions bok choy to the stir fry
Millet is a protein so this can be made without meat or fish and only vegetables and it is a balanced meal.

Serving Suggestions:
Serve with a salad to get a balanced meal or add vegies to the stir fry. I made a salad with cabbage, leaf lettuce, and arugula.