Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Basic Broccoli Soup

The VIBRANT color of broccoli soup that is made form farmer's market broccoli is amazing! It makes you never want to eat store bought broccoli again!

My recipe is a take on a traditional cream of broccoli soup...minus the cream.

Several years ago I made a concerted effort to reduce sodium in my diet. I started by reducing one element at a time. First I started with unsalted butter then began using reduced sodium broths/stocks. My taste buds adapted. I know am keenly aware of the high sodium content when I eat in restaurants. You can substitute salted butter and "regular" broth/stock in this recipe...or just use one in its low sodium form.


Base Ingredients:
1 LB of broccoli - the size pre-packaged if stems tied together or 4 large heads (large head = size of an adult hand outstretched).
1 Onion
2 Stalks of Celery
2 TBSP Almond or Quinoa Flour
2 TBSP Unsalted butter
2 cups Vegetable broth or stock
2 cups Water
1/2 cup Almond Milk (Regular)

Garnishes:
Nutmeg
Sesame Seeds, sunflower seeds, or pepitas seeds
Salt and Pepper can be served alongside so people can add depending on their tastes.


Instructions:
STEP 1: Chop and Boil
Chop broccoli, onions, and celery into 1 to 2 inch sized chunks
Add to a pot with 2 cups of water
Cover and bring to a boil for 10 minutes
STEP 2: Blend
Depending on your blender ... blend now or let cool a bit (if using Vitamix I suggest this step). You can use an immersion blender as well. Blend until a smooth consistency is achieved.
STEP 3: Make Rue
In the same large pot used to boil the vegetables, melt 2 TBSP of butter and 2 TBSP flour (I use Bob's Red Mill Quinoa Flour, Oat Flour, or Almond Flour (ALL GLUTEN FREE). Stir constantly so butter and flour are combined but do not burn. Once this is achieved, add 2 cups of broth. I use reduced sodium vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Stir to incorporate butter/flour mixture into the liquid.
STEP 4: Completing the Dish
Transfer the broth from the blender to the pot. Stir to incorporate. Add 1/2 cup Almond Milk and stir. Turn off heat.

Garnish and serve!


TIP: Since I began using my Vitamix I have started to prep the dish at night. I chop and complete STEP 1 ... in the morning I finish the soup. The Vitamix has a HIGH powered engine that will stop if HOT liquids are added to it. I save time this way. From start to finish this is a 30 minute or less soup. An immersion blender can be used so there is no need for the wait and cool time. If using an immersion blender you will need TWO soup pots...rather than clean a pot and blender...it will be two pots...the immersion blender is a snap to clean!

Substitutions:
Salted butter for Unsalted butter
Regular broth for Reduced Sodium
Chicken broth/stock for vegetable
Regular flour if you are not Gluten Free
Any other milk for the Almond Milk...I just do not suggest flavored milk
Garnish with diced pieces of cooked bacon (meat or imitation)
Garnish with chopped pecans or walnuts
This is dairy free if a non-dairy alternative is used for the butter

Serving Suggestion:
Pair with a sandwich and a cup of tea. I suggest Traditional Medicinals Green Teas.