Friday, March 13, 2015

Chia Berry Bliss

I needed a simple breakfast to pack the other day because I had to be at work extra early to take my students on a bus trip (all day field trip). I pondered what to pack for BOTH breakfast and lunch as I wanted healthy food that would not be messy, have the potential to leak, or smelly and offend another person on the bus. Chia Pudding came to mind as a great breakfast option.

Chia Berry Bliss was a simple breakfast to prepare. I suggest buying organic berries (fresh or frozen) as they are on the Dirty Dozen list.

Base Recipe:
1/2 cup fruit...FRESH (measure post cutting - see instructions below) - cut into small pieces. FROZEN - no need to cut.
1 1/2 cup plain or vanilla flavored yogurt or Greek Yogurt
4 TBSP Chia Seeds (I use Bob's Red Mill)
2 TBSP Cinnamon

Instructions:
If using frozen berries, either thaw to room temperature or microwave for a minute or so depending on volume. If using fresh berries I suggest cutting blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries in half and cutting strawberries into slivers.
Place the fruit as bottom layer in a serving container
Add Chia Seeds and Cinnamon
Layer yogurt on top.
Stir, cover, and chill


HINT: This is an easy dish to prepare as you make it in the serving container. NO EXTRA CLEAN-UP REQUIRED!

Variations:
Stone fruit such as peaches, nectarines, or apricots may be used
Add 4 TBSP Honey for a sweeter flavor (if not using a flavored yogurt)
Ass 1/3 cup coconut flakes


I loved the breakfast and made another batch for my husband to enjoy the next morning. He had a small dish along with toast.


Enjoy this treat - it takes less than 5 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to transform.

I suggest pairing it with Traditional Medicinals Tea...either Green Tea Peppermint or Green Tea Ginger.

Additional Options:
Use Vanilla Yogurt and add honey to make this a dessert. Serve with a rice cake as a garnish or gluten free shortbread cookie. Traditional Medicinals Cup of Calm would be a good pairing at the end of the day!