Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Pots de Coconut Creme

Pots de Coconut Crème

I was watching Food Network and became inspired to make Pots de Crème as a simple sweet treat. I had all the ingredients I needed so it was a perfect ending to our meal…no extra grocery shopping was necessary!

I followed the recipe on Food Network’s Website and made a few changes.


Ingredients:
12 Ounce Bag of Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels (I used Hershey’s as they are GLUTEN FREE)
4 Eggs at Room Temperature
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
8 Ounces of Very Hot Coffee (I used Starbucks Via Decaf)

Topping:
1 Cup Coconut Milk
2 TBSP Powdered Sugar
2 TSP Vanilla Extract or Coconut Extract

Instructions:
• Start hot water boiling and open 1 instant coffee packet into a mug (any HOT coffee will do)
• I put the chocolate, vanilla, and eggs into the VitaMix (use any blender) and pulsed a few times.
• After the hot water boiled I used a measuring cup to exactly measure 8 ounces of water. I transferred the water to the coffee mug and stirred.
• Add the coffee to the VitaMix/Blender and pulse until combined.
• Transfer to decorative glasses…leave room at the top for whipped topping garnish.
• Refrigerate until they firm up into pudding/cheesecake consistency (2-3 hours). Cover what is not eaten the first night with plastic wrap and they will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
HINT: You can make this in the morning as you drink your coffee and your dessert will be ready when you get home from work!

Topping:
• The original recipe calls for the use of 1 Cup heavy cream and 2 tablespoons of sugar. The ingredients can be whipped together to create a fluffy mixture to add to the top.
• You can use a CAN of whipping cream from the dairy section of the grocery store.
• I tried to avoid high fat dairy as I am a bit lactose intolerant. I found a recipe using coconut milk. I refrigerated a can of coconut milk as I made the dessert. My experiment did not come out as thick as the picture but I did not use full fat coconut milk nor did I refrigerate overnight. The extra time refrigerating will help the can separate. I will keep experimenting with this!


HINT: This is a RICH DESSERT. You may wish to share a large portion (pictured) or make in smaller glasses for an individual experience.