Sunday, October 4, 2015

Teff Protein Muffins

In my efforts to find additional ways to integrate Ancient Grains into my diet, I have been experimenting with using TEFF in recipes. Teff is a versatile grain that has a low glycemic index and is high in fiber but low in fat and sodium.

The Teff Protein Muffins recipe is a revision of a recipe that uses oats. I find that oats are a main component in many gluten free products and look to find alternatives so that I provide my body with a variety of nutrients.

I make the Teff Protein Muffins as muffins so that the “skirts” hold them together. They could be made as drop cookies if you do not mind a cookie that is not firm. My husband and I eat them as snacks after a workout; as an alternative to a granola bar.



Base Ingredients (with options)
1 cup teff (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup of pitted dates (I get mine from Futterman Farms)
1 cup ground flax seed
2 tsp vanilla flavoring or 1 scoop gluten free vanilla protein powder
1/3 cup cocoa powder or Nutella (Nutella makes a sweeter final product)
1 sleeve DECAF coffee (I use Starbucks as it is a DARK ROAST)
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup milk of your choice (I use Almond Milk)
1 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans
1 cup unsweetened coconut
OPTIONAL: 1 cup of raisins

Instructions:
STEP 1: Cook the teff and water in a small saucepan on low heat. Stir from time to time. This should take 10 minutes.

STEP 2: Let teff rest for 10-15 minutes. While it rests you can begin to preheat the oven to 350 and prepare the rest of the ingredients:
In a Vitamix or other food processor blend the dates and milk
Add the date/milk mixture to the teff and stir to combine
One at a time, add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine
Add the mixture to muffin tins lined with “skirts”

STEP 3: Cook for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into muffins comes out clean. Enjoy warm or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.