Friday, October 30, 2015

Simple Lentil Soup

I enjoy making soups. When I make lentil soup I like to start with dry lentils and rehydrate them. This allows me to hydrate them to the texture of my choice. The lentils in this soup have a some substance to them; they are a bit softer than "el dente". The longer the soup is cooked, the softer the lentils. If you prefer very soft lentils, start with cooked lentils rather than rehydrating them

This lentil soup does not take much time to make after the lentils are rehydrated. I usually rehydrate and lentils, beans, or peas that I use in recipes over night or while I am sleeping. The active cooking time for this recipe is about 30 minutes.




Ingredients:
·      1 1/2 cups dry lentils (rinsed and drained) + 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth + 1 bay leaf
·      Place in an airtight container over night or through the course of the day to rehydrate. This yields 3 cups of hydrated lentils.
·      4 TBSP olive oil
·      1 onion
·      4 large carrots
·      1 tsp ground cumin
·      4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
·      Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
·      Dice the carrots and onion and place in a soup pot with the olive oil
·      Sautee until onions are translucent
·      Add the rehydrated lentils, bay leaf, and 4 cups of low sodium vegetable broth and bring to a boil
·      Reduce heart and cover. Stir from time to time.
·      Cook until carrots are tender – about 20-30 minutes depending on size they were cut.
·      Remove bay leaf prior to serving or storing in an airtight container.