Thursday, August 20, 2015

PB & J Crepes

Once I find something I like, I have a tendency to eat the same thing day after day. Therefore, I make a concerted effort to discover new recipes and modify them to diversify my meals! The Gluten Free Breakfast Crepe is a modification of a recipe I found on the website for Pamela’s Baking and Pancake Mix. This YogaLean meal is a great way to start you day! The beauty of the crepe is that you can fill it with a variety of ingredients. Each crepe you make for yourself can be different and each crepe made for a family can be filled with ingredients that fit personal tastes. If you are using this before a workout, add additional protein. Enjoy this Gluten Free Breakfast with any NUT or SEED butter. My preferred brand is Once Again Nut Butter.


Ingredients:
1 Cup Pamela’s Baking & Pancake mix
3/4 Cup Milk of your choice (I used Almond Milk)
1/4 Cup Water
1 Large Egg
1 TBSP Oil (I used coconut oil)
1 TBSP Vanilla Flavoring (I used vanilla flavored gluten free protein powder but you can use vanilla extract or substitute almond extract)
1/2 Cup Ground Flaxseed Meal (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
Additional oil for the pan (I used Walnut)
4-6 TBSP Nut or Seed Butter
2-4 TBSP Jam or Jelly for Garnish
Fruit or Dried Fruit or Nuts for inside crepe and/or garnish


Instructions: (Makes 4-6 crepes)
Combine ingredients and remove as many “lumps” as possible
Heat the pan with a small amount of oil
Scoop 1/4 Cup of the batter and add to the hot pan. Turn the pan in a circle trying to get batter to form a thin layer on the bottom of the pan.
Use a spatula to start to lift the edges and make your way, carefully to the center. (Add additional oil of batter sticks…start conservative…add more as needed)
Carefully flip crepe. Cook 1-2 minutes on the second side.
Serve or cover with a cloth or parchment and make additional crepes.


Fillings:
Nut or Seed butter (homemade or purchased) + Bananas then garnished with Jam (I used homemade Chia Berry Jam – recipe in an earlier post)
Nut or Seed Butter + Dried Fruit …Dates, Raisins, Cranberries, Blueberries, and Cherries work well and garnished with either honey and nuts or jam and nuts
Nutella + Banana and garnished by extra fruit (more of a desert option)
NOTE: The riper the banana...the sweeter it is and the easier it is to cut and press into shape


NOTE: Picture is a PB&J Crepe taken on-the-go as a post wprkout/yoga class snack.